Mardi Gras Fun Facts
- Mardi Gras is always the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday.
- Mardi Gras is French for Fat Tuesday.
- The Carnival season officially begins on January 6th every year.
- Mardi Gras Day marks the end of the Carnival Season.
- The official colors of Mardi Gras are purple, green, and gold. Purple stands for justice, gold stands for power, and green represents faith.
- The first Mardi Gras parade was held in 1837. Parade floats did not first appear until 1857.
- "Krewes" are the organizations that put on the individual parades. Some krewes have extensive waiting lists to join.
- Krewes name a royal court, including a king and queen, who ride the floats and preside over the balls.
- Masks are required by law for all parade float riders.
- More than half a million king cakes are sold within the city of New Orleans every carnival season.